Turner Freeman also has the largest and most experienced asbestos practice in Australia.
Some of our notable victories include:
- the first product liability claim against an asbestos manufacturer, James Hardie & Coy Pty Limited, in Australia;
- the first judgment in favour of a child born at the township of Wittenoom and exposed to blue asbestos dust;
- the first verdict on behalf of a waterside worker suffering from asbestos related disease;
- the first judgment in favour of a mesothelioma victim who contracted the disease after home renovations;
- a series of successful verdicts on behalf of workers suffering from asbestos induced lung cancer;
- the first verdict in a contested claim in the District Court of South Australia under the Dust Diseases Act 2005 (SA);
- the first award of exemplary damages under the Dust Diseases Act 2005 (SA).
We have also acted for a large number of former workers from the Whyalla Shipyards and Steelworks in claims for damages arising from mesothelioma, asbestos related lung cancer, asbestosis and asbestos related pleural disease. For more information about these cases and victories, please click here.