Please select your state

We will show you information specific to your state.

Home | Personal Injury & Compensation Law | Workers Compensation Claims

Claiming workers compensation after a workplace injury in WA

If you have sustained a workplace injury you may be entitled to claim workers compensation.

If you have sustained a workplace injury you may be entitled to claim workers compensation.

Types of workplace injuries

Turner Freeman’s compensation lawyers are experts in handling work injury and workers compensation claims for all types of workplace injury including spinal, back, neck and head injury, fracture, upper and lower limb injuries, whiplash, soft tissue and eye injury as well as shock, anxiety and depression.

Our No Win No Fee policy in workers compensation claims in WA

No Win No Fee Personal Injury Lawyers Perth | Turner Freeman WA

Turner Freeman Personal Injury Lawyers work on ‘No Win No Fee’ basis for our work injury and workers compensation claims. Call (08) 9325 0900 to speak with our specialist workers compensation solicitor Fatima Verdingola in Western Australia. Our WA office is located in Perth CBD.

Make an enquiry

  1. No Win No Fee | No up-front costs
  2. Obligation free consultation
  3. Home & hospital visits available
  4. Free case assessment. Back in 24 hours

Our Workers Compensation Lawyer in WA


I've been injured at work. Do I have a claim?

Can I claim compensation if I have been injured at work?


If you have been injured at work, you can submit your workers compensation claim directly to your employer.

Time limit to submit claims to WorkCover WA

If you are injured today, you have twelve (12) months to submit the claim form 2B with a First Progress medical Certificate completed by your General Practitioner to your employer. If you miss this time limit you can still make a claim, and we can assist and provide advice.

Your employer then submits a claim to their Workers Compensation Insurer ("Insurer"). Shortly after receiving Notice of your claim from your employer, the insurer will contact you.

Your claim will take care of your medical expenses (including surgery), rehabilitation costs, travel costs, pharmaceutical costs and provide you with weekly payments of compensation while you have a current workers compensation medical certificate.

Turner Freeman Workers Compensation Lawyers No Win No Fee policy

We are happy to assist on a speculative or No Win – No Fee basis. Your initial consultation with us is free and obligation free.

WorkCover Western Australia

WorkCover Western Australia ("WorkCover") is a Western Australian State Government entity that is responsible for assisting injured workers and insurers resolve their dispute.

WorkCover's role is not to provide injured workers legal advice. You should seek legal advice from our specialist Workers' Compensation lawyers in relation to your workplace injury claims in WA.

I've been injured at work. What should I do?

Workplace injuries and accidents - what to do

  1. Consult your own GP (NOT the employer's doctor).
  2. Tell your GP how you hurt yourself on the job and that you need a FIRST MEDICAL CERTIFICATE.
  3. Fill in an INCIDENT REPORT so there is no dispute about where and how the injury occurred.
  4. Write down the names and telephone numbers of any witnesses.
  5. Fill out a Worker's Compensation Claim Form 2B, available online from WorkCover WA or your employer (who must provide you with the Form upon request).
  6. If you have made a claim, call Turner Freeman on 9325 0900 for advice and assistance.

What if my husband or wife dies at work? Am I able to make a claim? What am I entitled to receive?

Yes and you would be entitled to substantial statutory benefits from the insurer. These claims are referred to as dependency claims.

In addition to this type of claim, you may be entitled to pursue a death benefit claim through the deceased workers' super fund, which is usually a high value claim.

Substantial statutory benefits are available to family members including the widow and children of a worker who has died as a result of a workplace injury.

If you were financially dependent on the deceased worker, you are entitled to receive benefits including:-

  1. Payment for the loss of income support to the family including the widow and any children who were financially dependent on the deceased worker;
  2. Payment or reimbursement for funeral expenses.

What happens if my WorkCover claim has been rejected? What should I do? Can I appeal?

What can I do if my Workers Compensation or WorkCover claim is rejected?

Seek legal advice. You will need a compensation lawyer to advise you. Our work injury lawyers are happy to review the matter and advise you on a no obligation or "No Win – No Fee" basis.

How can a workers compensation lawyer help me with my claim?

Our Workers' Compensation lawyers will be able to advise you whether you are eligible to make a claim and what benefits are available to you.

But remember strict time limits apply to making a claim, so to maximise your benefits, speak to our specialist workplace lawyers as soon as possible after your injury.

You only have 12 months from the date you claim to elect to pursue a Common Law (Court) claim. And you only have three years from the date of injury to commence court proceedings. If you miss this time limit, your rights to pursue damages or proper compensation will be, or is most likely to be lost forever.

If you have a very minor or trivial injury that will largely or completely recover or heal, and if your workers' compensation claim has been accepted, you may not need to see a lawyer. However, your first consultation with us is free so we advise all our clients and potential clients to seek advice at the earliest possible time to remove any doubt or worry about your rights or where you stand.

What if my employer is a labour hire company? Does this matter?

No, not at all.

You may still lodge a claim and we can give you assistance and/or advice with respect to this claim.

If I make a claim against my employer, will I get into trouble or get fired?

Will I get into trouble if I lodge a claim against my employer?

Any reasonable employer will not treat you differently or take adverse action against you. There are laws that prohibit this. Your employer is not allowed to terminate your employment for up to 12 months if you have a current workers compensation claim.

If you are terminated due to your work related injury, you should seriously consider taking further action. Consult us immediately for urgent advice regarding your rights, options and potential remedies. Our initial or preliminary advice will be free and provided on a no obligation or "No Win – No Fee" basis.

Click here to see the full terms of our "No Win – No Fee" policy.

Any claim against your employer will be covered by insurance. If your claim is successful, your employer will not be asked to find or fund the monies to pay you out.

If I go ahead with a claim, how long will it take and how much will it cost?

How long will my workers compensation claim take and what will it cost?

If we advise that you have reasonable prospects of success and the claim is economically worthwhile to pursue, we will send you a proper written advice and a proposal. Our proposal will set out, in plain English, a realistic estimate of how long we believe your work compensation case will take to resolve and the likely cost.

Generally speaking, most work injury claims are resolved within 6 to 18 months from when the claim starts. If the case goes to trial (which is highly unlikely) this can add a further 6 to 12 months to the time estimate.

If your case has to go to court, it will cost more than if it settles at an early stage. The more work that is done results in higher fees; however, we always do whatever we can to keep costs as low as possible. All of this is explained in our written advice along with realistic and reliable fee estimates.

Do you offer 'No Win – No Fee' for workers compensation claims?

Turner Freeman Lawyers 'No Win - No Fee' policy

After we have investigated your claim at no obligation to you, we will then make a decision about whether we would be prepared to act for you on a 'No Win – No Fee' basis. At that time, our compensation lawyers will provide you with a proper written advice regarding your prospects of success and whether we are prepared to act for you on a 'No Win – No Fee' basis.

Under our usual terms and conditions, 'No Win – No Fee' simply means that we if take your case on, we will only be paid a reasonable fee for the legal work we have done for you at the end of the claim, and only if you win.

In the highly unlikely event that your claim goes to trial, and in the even more unlikely event that your case goes all the way to trial and you lose, we will not seek to charge you anything for all of the work we have done for you.

If I have a WorkCover compensation claim, can I also make additional claims?


When your workers' compensation claim comes to an end, you can submit a claim for income protection if you have such a policy.

Income protection claims

Some people have a stand-alone income protection policy while others have an income protection policy through their super fund. It is important to check what income protection benefits you have through your super.

TPD claims

If you are unable to return to work in any of your former job roles, you may also be eligible for a lump sum payout for permanent disability. The lump sum payouts for permanent disability can range from modest to very high amounts. We offer a free super check to assist you in this regard.

Our workers compensation lawyers in Perth are experts in this area and we would be delighted to assist you if possible.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Latest News and Blog

Silica dust: the new asbestos

Authorities have even gone as far as to say it could be worse than asbestos.Read More

2019 Cancer Researcher of the Year

Professor Gary Lee of the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital was named 2019 Cancer Researcher of the Year.Read More