Top 10 reasons to prepare a Will
Why do I need a valid Will?
One of the greatest gifts you can give to your loved ones is a professionally prepared Will that clearly and precisely states your wishes upon your passing. By having a legally prepared Will, it could also reduce the likelihood of any estate disputes or a person challenging your Will. It can save tremendous anxiety and conflicts within your family of your loved ones.
Top 10 reasons you need a legally valid Will:
1. You determine who gets what out of your estate.
2. You can restrict the age when a beneficiary is to receive a gift.
3. You can appoint an Executor to oversee the estate administration process.
4. You can determine how a beneficiary is to receive a gift under the Will, for example absolutely or on trust.
5. If you have children under the age of 18 years, you can appoint a guardian to look after those children.
6. While Do It Yourself Wills are easy on the hip pocket, they can easily be challenged when you are no longer here to defend your wishes.
7. Whilst your Will provides for assets you have at the time of making your Will, it can also provide what you wish to happen if your estate is to receive a windfall after your passing.
8. If you do not make a Will how your estate is disposed of is determined by the rules of intestacy, which do not take your wishes into consideration.
9. By having a Will, considerable amounts of money can be saved in the administration of your estate.
10. The making of a Will not only results in a formalised Will but also prompts you to review your financial and personal affairs.
Turner Freeman can help you make a Will
If you need a Will drafted, talk to our expert lawyers in Wills & Estates today. Alternatively visit us at any of our Queensland offices in Brisbane, Logan, North Lakes, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Cairns.
Our Wills and Estates department provides a specialist Will drafting service. We can help you prepare a legal Will to ensure your loved ones and beneficiaries are provided for as you wish. If you are drafting a simple Will this can be completed over the phone without the need to visit our office. If you’re interested in finding out more, please contact us on 13 43 63 or via our online enquiry form.
Get to know our Wills and Estates solicitor
Jenna Hutchinson is employed as a Senior Associate in Turner Freeman Lawyers Brisbane office. Over the past 4 years, Jenna has worked exclusively in the area of Succession Law as this is where her passion lies.
Jenna always strives to do the best she can for her clients to ensure that their wishes are adhered to, as well as tries to achieve the best outcome for her clients if they have been unfairly left out of a Will. She is also experienced in defending the Estate against complex claims and is an active member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.