*The contents in this blog relates to legislation in South Australia.

If you have been injured in a bicycle accident in South Australia, you may be entitled to compensation. Cyclist accidents can result in very serious injuries, which can have a significant impact on your life.

As more people hop on their bikes to commute to work, or even to ride as a hobby, South Australia’s lack of continuous cycling infrastructure means that cyclists are at a great risk of being involved in an accident.

The RAA’s 2021 Risky Rides survey found Anzac Highway to be the riskiest road in Adelaide, with other dangerous roads being Marion Road, Greenhill Road, Payneham Road and Port Road.

When it is car vs bike, cyclists are particularly vulnerable, and these accidents can be very serious. The most recent SAPOL figures show that between 2015 and 2019, 2518 cyclists were injured. Over the last five years in SA, there is an average of 5 cyclists killed per year.

Can I claim?

As a bike rider, if you have been injured in a crash where a South Australian registered vehicle was at fault, you may be able to make a CTP compensation claim. Even if they were not entirely at fault, you still may be entitled to claim.

Common situations include:

  1. a turning car cutting off a cyclist.
  2. driving in a bike lane.
  3. running a red light.
  4. unsafe lane changes.

Trying to recover from a serious accident can be stressful enough, without having to worry about dealing with insurance companies, and fighting to make sure that you receive fair compensation. That is where Turner Freeman can help.

What can Turner Freeman do for me?

If you have a claim, we will liaise with the insurance company, prepare your claim documents, organise any medical reports and gather all of the evidence required in your claim.

We have specialist personal injury lawyers that can assist you on a no win no fee basis. It is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible, as various time limits apply, including a 3 year time limited from the date of the accident.

Get in touch with us for a no obligation discussion about your specific circumstances.