Christmas DIY renovations and their dangers
The state government recently released a media statement regarding Christmas DIY renovations and the dangers of asbestos that could be lurking around in the family home. A new video developed by the Queensland Government is encouraging renovators to be aware and look out for any asbestos around the home that could be putting your family at risk.
Dr Simon Blackwood, head of Workplace Health and Safety Queensland said the film Losing breath: The Adam Sager story was a well-timed message for anyone who is planning on doing home renovations during these holidays to thoroughly and carefully check for asbestos before starting the project.
“This film is a shocking reminder that householders can unknowingly put their children’s lives at risk by disturbing dangerous asbestos materials,” Dr Blackwood said.
Losing breath: The Adam Sager story show the events that led to the 25-year-old’s death, but could save other lives.
The story explains how Adam, 18 months old at the time, was playing on the floor while his parents were sanding back the walls of their new home. They were unaware that these walls contained asbestos.
Adam was not diagnosed with mesothelioma until he was 24 years old and died a year later.
Dr Blackwood said the film, launched on the 12th December at the Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens where Adam found comfort and peace during his brave battle with this disease. He also said that this was a timely reminder for anyone planning home renovations over these holiday period.
All householders need to understand the risks and need professional help when working with or near asbestos.
To view the film, and for more information about safe handling of asbestos-containing materials visit www.qld.gov.au/asbestos or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
If you have been exposed to asbestos, call 13 43 63 to speak with one of our asbestos lawyers in Queensland to seek legal advice.