Retrospective superannuation insurance claims for retirees

  1. Have you retired from employment due to injury or illness?
  2. Have you operated in an unpaid domestic duties role in your household and been diagnosed with an injury or illness that would have prevented you from returning to work, even if you did not intend to?

If so, you may be eligible to pursue a superannuation insurance claim that you didn’t realise existed.

It is important to know that this claim may still be possible even if your superannuation account is now closed and/or your insurance has lapsed.

Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) insurance is a common type of insurance cover that many of us hold within our superannuation, even those of us who have been out of work for some time.

TPD cover is designed to compensate the member if they are no longer able to work as a result of injury and/or illness. This will sometimes also include people operating in an unpaid domestic duties role, who are diagnosed with a medical condition that would have otherwise prevented them from returning to the workforce, even if that was not their intention.

These injuries and/or illnesses do not need to necessarily relate to employment, so that a diagnosis of an unrelated condition such as (but not limited to):

  • Chronic Lung Disease
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Cancer
  • Stroke
  • Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
  • Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
  • Major Head Trauma
  • Motor Neurone Disease
  • Muscular Dystrophy

or any injury outside of work could potentially entitle a member to claim against their insurance – even if they were not working at the time of their diagnosis.

If you have suffered an injury or illness that has put you out of employment, or has prevented you from returning to employment, irrespective of how many years ago, we recommend making an enquiry as to your superannuation insurance options.

Contact Turner Freeman Lawyers today for an obligation free assessment of your entitlements.

Turn to Turner Freeman on (07) 5458 9500.