1. Notify your employer

    You must report your injury as soon as possible to your employer and fill in the injury book or register of injuries book at work.

  2. Consult your doctor

    You should be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Your company may have a preferred doctor, however, you are entitled to choose your own doctor. Be very clear in explaining your injury to your doctor, specifically stating that is was a work injury.

    If you need time off work as a result of your injury, you will need to obtain a WorkCover Certificate of Capacity from your doctor. This certificate will detail your capacity for work and diagnoses.

  3. Complete a Workers Compensation Claim Form

    You should be provided with a copy of this form when you report your injury to your employer. Alternatively, you can request a copy from your doctor.

    Complete the claim form, attach your Certificate of Capacity to the claim form and submit to your employer.

    Ensure you keep a copy of the completed claim form and certificate for your records.

What am I entitled to claim if I am injured at work?

  1. Weekly Compensation Payments

    If you are injured at work, you may be entitled to be paid weekly compensation payments for loss of earnings, if you are either unfit for work or not fit for your normal pre-injury duties. If you are only able to perform suitable duties, you may be entitled to be paid make up pay from the workers compensation insurer.

  2. Medical and rehabilitation expenses

    You may also be entitled to be paid all of your reasonable medical treatment expenses which can cover a range of expenses, including seeing your GP, specialist, having treatments including physiotherapy, surgery if required, medication, travel costs to see your treating doctors etc.

  3. Lump Sum payment

    An injured worker may also be entitled to seek a separate payment for pain and suffering if they have sustained a permanent injury and their whole person impairment is at 11% or greater, or if it is a psychological injury, the whole person impairment needs to be 15% or greater.