Being involved in a car accident can be very stressful. Here are a few things you can do that will help with your claim for compensation:

  1. Check yourself for injuries and check the well-being of your passengers. Call 000 if you require immediate assistance.
  1. Gather as much information as you can from the other driver. Ensure that you get details including:
    • name;
    • phone number;
    • vehicle registration number;
    • insurance information (provider, insurance number, policy details);
    • drivers license number.
  1. Gather contact details from any witnesses at the scene. If liability is disputed by the other driver’s insurer, witness evidence may be crucial to determine who was at fault for the accident.
  1. If you can, take photos of the vehicles and the scene. Photographic evidence is useful if liability is disputed by the insurer.
  1. Report the motor accident to the police. Attend your local police station as soon as possible after the accident to provide details of the accident, location, time and date, as well as the contact details of the parties involved.  The police will also need to know whether anyone was injured.
  1. See your general practitioner (GP) as soon as possible after the motor accident, preferably within 24 hours of the motor accident. Tell your GP about your injuries.  If you make a claim for compensation, your medical records will be obtained by the insurer and they can provide a contemporaneous record of the injuries you have suffered.
  1. Call the relevant CTP insurer at the earliest opportunity and lodge an accident claim form in order to have your claim managed as quickly as possible. As of 1 July 2016 there are four insurance companies providing CTP insurance in SA (AAMI, Allianz, QBE and SGIC).  You need to lodge your claim form within 6 months of the collision.  We recommend that you contact a lawyer for advice before you lodge the claim forms.
  1. If you are injured, take photos of your injuries as they progress. If you visit a hospital, or a GP, ensure that you keep all relevant documents and receipts. If you buy pain relief, pay for parking or pay for assistance around your home, ensure that you keep receipts and relevant documentation. These expenses may be claimable from the insurer.

Remember that the insurer has different interests to you in your claim. In order to get the best possible outcome, and to put yourself back in the position you were previously in, you should contact Turner Freeman Lawyers for advice.

Don’t forget that time limits apply. You have 6 months to lodge an accident claim form. There is also a very strict time limit of 3 years from the date of the motor accident to lodge your claim in the court.  You should always seek legal advice as early as possible.

It is always best to get professional legal advice about your individual circumstances to ensure that you achieve the best outcome in your matter.  Call Turner Freeman Lawyers on 08 8213 1000 to speak to one of our experienced lawyers.