Get to know Ann-Maree
Ann-Maree acts for clients suffering from mesothelioma, asbestosis and asbestos related lung cancers. She acts for clients suffering from injury as a result of the negligence of nurses, doctors and other health professionals.
She also assists clients with TPD and income protection claims through their superannuation funds.
- Ann-Maree was first employed by Turner Freeman as a solicitor in 2007 and by June 2010, had earned a promotion to Associate. During this time, she worked almost exclusively in common law litigation, with a particular emphasis on dust diseases litigation.
During Ann-Maree’s first year of practice she obtained what was then the second highest award of general damages ever made to a mesothelioma victim in NSW.
- Later, in 2009 she ran the matter of Brian Mooney v Amaca Pty Limited which was, at the time, the NSW record for the highest award of general damages made to a mesothelioma victim. She successfully defended an application for Appeal in 2008, and ran at trial large and complex matters. In 2008 she ran at trial a test case involving the interpretation and application of section 15B of the Civil Liability Act, 2002.
“I am proud to work at a firm like Turner Freeman, where we continually fight for the rights of ordinary people, where we always stand up for what we think is right. I will never forget Brian Mooney, who was not only one of my greatest professional triumphs, but who was also a man I came to know very well and admire greatly. Helping people like Brian is what I love about the work I do at Turner Freeman.”
Medical Negligence experience
- In 2010, Ann-Maree began practising exclusively in the area of medical negligence with a law firm who undertook legal work solely for NSW Health. While employed by that firm, she practiced almost exclusively in the area of medical negligence, representing both Local Health Districts and medical officers. She ran matters in NCAT arising from claims under the Government Information (Public Access) Act and arising from discrimination. She successfully made submissions to the Human Rights Commission regarding claims for breach of privacy and for discrimination. Her experience advising NSW Health has provided Ann-Maree with unique insight into medical negligence claims.
What Ann-Maree’s Clients Say about Her
- “Just a short note to thank you for all of your work and understanding with my case. Your understanding of my circumstances and the knowledge and expertise that you brought to the case was a huge relief. Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.” Harvey
- “We cannot thank you enough for the amazing efforts and the fantastic result you have achieved for us.” Glen & Akiko
An experienced lawyer you can trust
- Ann-Maree returned to Turner Freeman in 2017, given a desire to return to a role in which she could assist individuals who have been injured through someone else’s negligence.
“I have a genuine desire to help victims of negligence and their families. Nothing can bring back a person’s health, but I take great pride in the fact that I can help victims and families achieve some sort of financial security. I am passionate about and committed to helping people.”
Highly experienced litigator
- Ann-Maree has experience running all types of claims arising out of negligence including unlitigated claims, nervous shock claims and compensation to relatives claims. She has appeared in Coronial Inquests, and acted in public liability claims. She is an experienced litigator in the Dust Diseases Tribunal of NSW, the District Court, the Supreme Court of NSW and the NSW Court of Appeal. She is a highly experienced negotiator and represents her clients at mediations and settlement conferences. Ann-Maree is committed to not only obtaining the best outcome for her clients, but also to obtaining the most cost-effective and practical outcome for her clients.
- Ann-Maree is based in our Parramatta office, but will see clients in any office by appointment. She will also travel to see clients in hospitals and at their homes.
What Ann-Maree’s Clients Say About Her
- “Thank you for finalising my late husband’s claim. I would like to acknowledge that I have now received all monies from the settlement. It has certainly been a long process, but the professionalism and compassion extended to both myself and Arthur has been sincerely appreciated.” Arthur and V
Qualifications & Memberships
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Western Sydney
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Law Society of New South Wales