Please select your state

We will show you information specific to your state.

Home | Compensation Law | Workers Compensation Claims

Work Injury Claims

If you have sustained a workplace injury, illness or a disease in Queensland, you may be entitled to claim work compensation.

There are strict time limits that apply to making a claim. Speak to our workers compensation lawyers as soon as possible after your injury.

What types of injuries can I claim?

Turner Freeman’s compensation lawyers are experts in handling work injury and workers compensation claims for all types of workplace injury including spinal, back, neck and head injury, fracture, upper and lower limb injuries, whiplash, soft tissue and eye injury as well as shock, anxiety and depression.

Our ‘No Win – No Fee‘ policy is available for workplace injury compensation claims and we offer home or hospital visits if you are too ill to come to us.

Make an enquiry

  1. No Win No Fee | No up-front costs
  2. Obligation free consultation
  3. Home & hospital visits available
  4. Free case assessment. Back in 24 hours

We can help

Call 13 43 63 to speak with one of our workers compensation lawyers in Queensland. Our offices are in Brisbane, Logan, North Lakes, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Cairns.


I have been injured at work. Can I claim?

Can I claim workers compensation if I injured myself at work?


If you have been injured at work, you are entitled to submit a claim to WorkCover Queensland, or if your employer is self-insured, you can submit your workers compensation claim directly to your employer. This should be accepted promptly.

Time limit to submit claims to WorkCover

If you are injured today, you have six (6) months to submit the claim form to WorkCover. If you miss this time limit, you can still make a claim, however you need to provide an explanation for the delay to WorkCover. This is where we can assist and provide advice on the process, what to do and how to do it.

Your WorkCover claim will take care of your immediate medical expenses (including surgery), rehabilitation costs, travel costs, pharmaceutical costs and will provide you with about 85% of your normal weekly earnings while you have a current workers' compensation medical certificate.

If you miss the time limit

You can still pursue a damages claim if you have not submitted a claim form to WorkCover within six (6) months of the workplace injury.

If your workers' compensation claim has already been accepted and you are concerned about your working future due to your injury, you should seek legal advice. You might be eligible for a common law or damages claim. It is only in the common law or damages claim that you can seek and recover money or compensation for pain and suffering, out-of-pocket expenses, past and future loss of income and future medical expenses.

Turner Freeman Lawyers No Win No Fee policy

Our workers compensation lawyers are happy to assist on a speculative or No Win – No Fee basis. Your initial consultation with us is free and obligation free.

What is WorkCover Queensland?

What is WorkCover Queensland?

WorkCover Queensland ("WorkCover") is a Queensland State Government owned entity that is responsible for most workers compensation insurance claims in Queensland.

One of the stated aims and objectives of WorkCover is to help injured workers return to work as quickly as possible.

This is a wonderful aim and objective, however we have often found that work related injuries do not always fully resolve, heal or recover. This can leave workers unable to return to their old job and eventually being cut off or having their claim finalised by WorkCover, leaving injured workers in a situation of great financial uncertainty and difficulty.

WorkCover Queensland's role is not to provide injured workers with legal advice. This is our role.

If your employer is a self-insurer, then your claim will need to be submitted to the workers' compensation department of your employer.

If you have suffered a work related injury, there is a very good chance you will need to submit a claim form to WorkCover. We can also assist injured workers with submitting these claims.

I've been injured at work, what do I do?  How do I submit a claim to WorkCover Queensland

Very easily. These days many workers submit their claim forms either online or by telephone and it can be done quickly and easily. If you need assistance with completing the claim form, we are happy to help at no obligation and at no cost as part of our service to our clients and the community.

Lodging claims with WorkCover Queensland by telephone

The phone number for lodging claims with WorkCover Qld is 1300 362 128.

Lodging claim with WorkCover Queensland on the web or online

WorkCover Queensland is the insurer for the vast majority and almost all of the employers in Queensland.

Some of the bigger or biggest employers in Queensland have applied for and received permission so that they can act as both employer and also as the insurer.  If you are injured at work and your employer is a self insurer, you will need to submit your work injury claim form to your employer not WorkCover Queensland.

A list of all current employers who are self insured is available at the following website. We have compiled a list of all current employers who are self insurers and their contact details below.

  • Aged Care Employers Self-insurance Group 07 3251 6256 (RSL Care), 07 3861 1997 (IRM Services Pty Ltd), 07 3360 9111 (TriCare - Aged Care Employers Self-Insurance Group)
  • Arnott's Biscuits Limited - 07 3243 5602
  • Arrium Limited (formerly OneSteel) - 07 3275 8455
  • Aurizon Operations Limited (formerly QR National) - 07 3019 8084
  • Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited - 07 3947 5189
  • BHP Billiton Limited - 1800 247 927
  • Brisbane City Council - 07 3403 9530
  • CSR Limited - 07 3212 6433 (Building products claims), 07 4722 1977 (Sugar claims)
  • Coles Group Limited - 07 3347 0900
  • Council of the City of Gold Coast - 07 5581 7304
  • Glencore Queensland Limited - 07 3295 7680
  • JBS Australia Pty Limited - 07 3810 2305
  • Jupiters Limited - 07 3228 0028
  • Local Government Workcare - 07 3000 5530
  • Myer Holdings Limited - 07 3550 4142
  • Qantas Airways Limited - 07 3238 2001
  • Queensland Rail Limited - 07 3072 0050
  • Redland City Council - 07 3829 8412
  • Teys Australia Meat Group - 07 3382 5178
  • The University of Queensland - 07 3365 6022
  • Toll Holdings Limited - 07 3275 0450
  • Townsville City Council - 07 4773 8406
  • Westpac Banking Corporation - 07 3227 2490
  • Wilmar Sugar - 07 4722 1977
  • Woolworths Limited - 07 3213 4307

What if my husband or wife dies at work? Am I able to make a claim? What am I entitled to receive?

Can I claim if my husband or wife dies at work?

Yes and you would be entitled to substantial statutory benefits with WorkCover Queensland or the self insurer if your employer is self insured.

These claims are referred to as dependency claims.

In addition to this type of claim, you may be entitled to pursue a death benefit claim through the deceased workers' super fund, which is usually a high value claim.

Substantial statutory benefits are available to family members, including the widow and children of a worker who has died as a result of a workplace injury.

If you were financially dependent on the deceased worker, you are entitled to receive benefits including:-

  1. Payment for the loss of income support to the family, including the widow and any children who were financially dependent on the deceased worker;
  2. Payment or reimbursement for funeral expenses.

What happens if my WorkCover claim has been rejected? What should I do? Can I appeal?

What can I do if my Workers Compensation claim is rejected?

Seek legal advice urgently as strict time limits apply for lodging an appeal. This usually takes three months from the date you receive the letter or statement of reasons for a decision that sets out the basis for the claim being rejected. The appeal process is a legal process. You will need a lawyer to advise you. Our work injury lawyers are happy to review the matter and advise you on a no obligation or "No Win – No Fee" basis.

How can a Workers Compensation lawyer help me with my claim?

How can a Workers Compensation lawyer help me with my claim?

Our specialist workers compensation lawyers can provide you advice on whether you are able to make a claim and what benefits available to you. The best way to maximise your compensation claim benefits is to contact us as soon as possible after your workplace injury.

Why do I need a specialist lawyer?

Our workplace injury lawyers will be able to advise you whether you are eligible to make a claim and what benefits are available to you.

Why choose us?

  • We provide 'No Win No Fee' for workers compensation claims
  • We can come to you if you are too ill to visit us
  • Your first meeting with us is obligation free - you do not have to retain us
  • Our accredited specialists will provide you with the best legal advice

If I go ahead with a claim, how long will it take and how much will it cost?

How long will my workers compensation claim take and what will it cost?

If we advise that you have reasonable prospects of success and your workers compensation claim is economically worthwhile to pursue, we will send you a proper written advice and a proposal. Our proposal will set out, in plain English, a realistic estimate of how long we believe your case will take to resolve and the likely cost.

Generally speaking, most claims are resolved within 6 to 18 months from when the claim starts. If the case goes to trial (which is highly unlikely) this can add a further 6 to 12 months to the time estimate.

If your case has to go to court, it will cost more than if it settles at an early stage. The more work that is done results in higher fees; however we always do whatever we can to keep costs as low as possible. All of this is explained in our written advice along with realistic and reliable fee estimates.

What if my employer is a labour hire company? Does this matter?

Does it matter if my employer is a labour hire company?

No, not at all.

If you have a common law claim or damages claim to pursue, it simply means that your lawyer will need to advise you about a potential claim against the labour hire company, and also a potential claim against the entity or company in control of the premises where you suffered the injury.

If I make a claim against my employer, will I get into trouble or get fired?

Will I get into trouble if I lodge a claim against my employer?

Any reasonable employer will not treat you differently or take adverse action against you. There are laws that prohibit this. Your employer is not allowed to terminate your employment for up to 12 months if you have a current workers' compensation claim.

If you are terminated due to your work related injury, you should seriously consider taking further action. Contact us immediately for urgent advice regarding your rights, options and potential remedies. Our initial or preliminary advice will be free and provided on a no obligation or "No Win – No Fee" basis.

Click here to see the full terms of our "No Win – No Fee" policy.

Any claim against your employer will be covered by insurance.

Do you offer 'No Win – No Fee' for workers compensation claims?

Turner Freeman Lawyers 'No Win No Fee' policy

After we have investigated your workers compensation claim at no obligation to you, we will then make a decision about whether we would be prepared to act for you on a 'No Win – No Feebasis. At that time, our compensation lawyers will provide you with a proper written advice regarding your prospects of success and whether we are prepared to act for you on a No Win – No Fee basis.

Under our usual terms and conditions, No Win – No Fee simply means that we if take your case on, we will only be paid a reasonable fee for the legal work we have done for you at the end of the claim if you win.

In the highly unlikely event that your claim goes to trial, and in the even more unlikely event that your case goes all the way to trial and you lose, we will not seek to charge you anything for all of the work we have done for you.

Will the recent changes to the WorkCover legislation affect me or my claim?

Will the recent changes to the WorkCover legislation affect me or my claim?


If you receive a Notice of Assessment from WorkCover Qld and the assessment is equal to or less than 5% in terms of the work related impairment you should seek legal advice urgently. Why? If your impairment is not more than 5% you will be precluded or prevented from ever pursuing a damages claim which is a huge problem if you have suffered an injury which is likely to cause you to suffer loss of income now and/or into the future.

If the assessment of permanent impairment is 6% or higher, you can still pursue a court claim or damages claim. However, if the level of impairment is equal to or more than 6% but equal to or less than 20% you can't accept the lump sum offer made by WorkCover and sue for damages. This is extremely important to understand. If you accept the lump sum offer made by WorkCover Qld and your injury is between 6% and 20% then you will be forever precluded or prevented from being able to sue for damages.

If your impairment is more than 20% then you can accept the lump sum offer from WorkCover Qld and sue for damages, however, a relatively small percentage of claims result in impairments that are greater than 20%.

Does this explanation seem complicated? We think so. We believe the system is excessively complicated and the recent changes to the existing system were unnecessary and unfair. However, we are happy to provide you with our preliminary advice and explain all of this at no obligation or on a "No Win – No Fee" basis.

If I have a Workers Compensation claim, can I also claim for Income Protection?

If I have a Workers Compensation claim, can I also claim for Income Protection?


You are unlikely to be able to claim both at the same time, however, when your WorkCover or workers' compensation claim comes to an end, you can submit a claim for income protection if you have such a policy.

Some people have a stand-alone income protection policy while others have an income protection policy through their super fund. It is important to check what income protection benefits you have through your super.

If you are unable to return to work in any of your former job roles, you may also be eligible for a lump sum payout for permanent disability. The lump sum payouts for permanent disability can range from modest to very high amounts. We offer a free super check to assist you in this regard.

Our workers compensation lawyers are experts in this area and would be happy to assist you if possible.

Workplace Claims – Make an enquiry Now!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Latest News and Blog

Rockhampton morning tea invitation

Come and join us for a morning tea in Rockhampton.Read More

Mackay morning tea invitation

Please join us for a free information seminar in Mackay.Read More

Townsville morning tea invitation

Come and join us for a morning tea in Townsville.Read More